Primary German Teacher 80%
The Primary German Teacher is responsible for creating a rich learning environment that promotes student learning and optimum personal growth, according to age, ability and aptitude. He or she establishes an effective rapport with students and motivates them to develop the skills, attitudes and knowledge required for a good foundation in German education. He or she establishes good relationships with parents and works closely with colleagues to develop an efficient team.
- Teach German classes from Grade 1 to Grade 5.
- Plan and prepare learning based on the needs of students, their age and language level.
- Engage children in learning language through a variety of teaching approaches and strategies.
- Support student’s access to learning through the effective use of ICT.
- Contribute to the creation of, and decision making about teaching resources..
- Use a variety of assessment methods for formative and summative purposes.
- Monitor, document and provide feedback on children’s progress.
- Acknowledge and celebrate the cultural diversity of the school population.
- Create a safe and secure learning environment both in the class and in other supervisory roles.
- Manage the classroom environment, maintaining a positive approach supporting the school’s policies and general ethos.
- Assist in the planning and organising of field trip programmes.
- Liaise within the German Language Team to ensure that programme requirements are met.
- Inform the Homeroom Teacher about issues of concern related to student welfare, achievement and behaviour.
- Contribute to the planning and delivery of inter-disciplinary curriculum projects.
- Keep parents informed about each child’s progress and the programme being taught.
- Attend Parent/Teacher and Student-led conferences.
- Attend meetings for planning and administration.
- Attend in-service training and professional development workshops.
- Keep up to date with developments in the profession and study relevant professional literature.
- Engage in the annual Appraisal Process in accordance with the school’s policy.
- Contribute to Extra-Curricular Activities to enhance the school experience for learners.
- Assist, as requested, with cover of classes for absent colleagues.
- Current classroom teacher qualification to teach German at Primary Level
- Native German speaker is an advantage
- Experience in teaching German as a Foreign Language, additional qualifications desired
- Experience in teaching learners with diverse needs
- Good command of English language, in writing and speech
- IT competence
- The applicant must demonstrate knowledge of the developmental needs of children of 5-11 years
- Empathy and social skills
- Collaboration, teamwork and active participation in school life
Terms and conditions
The initial contract is for two years and is renewable. The generous salary and range of benefits will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate, with the overall package reflecting the importance of the position.
Interested candidates should email a full letter of application, a statement of personal educational philosophy, detailed resume/curriculum vitae, and three referees. The Head of School reserves the right to apply directly to the writers of open testimonials for confidential statements.
Applications should be adressed to:
Ms Mary-Lyn Campbell,
Head of School
We are looking forward to receiving your online application.